Equity and Anti-Racism Action Plan
Deepening our Commitment
Called to action by the painful experiences shared by students and alumni of color, Pingree is taking decisive action in our commitment to dismantling systemic racism within our community. Creating a truly equitable and inclusive environment will require the participation, self-reflection, and sacrifice of every member of the community: faculty, staff, students, parents, trustees, and alumni. While we have made progress at Pingree over many years with good and strategic intention, it is clear that we must do more. The preliminary and evolving steps below provide details on how we will equip, empower, and hold accountable every member of our community in the creation and maintenance of a truly safe and inclusive learning environment.
Our preliminary action plan focuses on the following four strategic areas for change, which are of equal import: (1) deliver an anti-racist education to all students, (2) develop, equip, and expect every Pingree employee to foster and sustain an equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist culture, (3) respond to incidents of racism and discrimination decisively, and (4) develop a long-term, concrete equity and inclusion action plan with accountability checkpoints to dismantle racism in our community.
We can tell you this with the utmost certainty: we will not go back. A status quo in which any member of this community feels deprived of their dignity is unacceptable.
- Evaluate primary sources containing discriminatory language
- Develop music policy for on-campus events
- Require anti-racist summer reading
- Update non-discrimination policy regarding use of racial slurs
- Establish review process for Art Department content
- Be intentional with time for community meetings and assemblies
- Ensure representation of diverse voices in curriculum
- Elevate Dean of Community and Multicultural Development to Assistant Head of School for Equity and Instruciton
- Expand required diversity training for all coaches
- Hire more faculty and staff of color
- Continue ongoing training and professional development
- Explore the development of summer equity and inclusion institute
- Evaluate disciplinary process to increase accountability and transparency
- Utilize the Equity and Inclusion Community Standards Council for first offenses of non-discrimination policy
- Develop athletics and afternoon program code of conduct
- Engage community in dialogue about anti-discrimination violations
- Review disciplinary data to identify any trends by race
Last updated: December 14, 2020